Sunday, August 16, 2009

A Taste Of Home - Shrimp Victoria

Do you know how a certain food can invoke a memory? Well I am originally from Louisiana and that is what good seafood does to me. When I am felling a little "Homesick" I always cook something that I grew up eating... this time it was Shrimp Victoria.
This is one of those foods that you will either love or hate. Heavy on REAL butter and Sour Cream... loaded in calories, but it is worth it!The recipe itself is simple and quick. And like I said, heavy on the sour cream, but it melds so nice with the butter that it is not "sour" at all. I do not know how many this recipe makes because everyone eats a lot of it... I have to triple the recipe just to feed my hubby and kids, and they are super skinny LOL! It is a BIG hit at my house and a favorite meal for when I have friends over... and the best part.... cleanup is one or 2 pans at the most!
I hope that you enjoy!

Shripm Victoria - Adapted by A. Miller from Tony Chachere's recipe

1 pound Peeled and deveined fresh shrimp (frozen can be used in a pinch)
1/2 pound REAL butter, no substitues, will not be the same flavor
8 ounces Sour Cream - lite will do, but the fully loaded stuff is better :)
1 large onion, diced fine or more if you really like onions!
1 package fresh mushrooms, sliced (no substitutions for fresh, you can omit this depending on taste)
1 med Bell Pepper, seeded and diced
1 TBSP fresh, minced garlic
2 TBSP All purpose flour
Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning, or other "Cajun Seasoning" (Tony's is the best if you can find it)
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 cup Rice, cooked
Chopped Scallions for garnish

1.Take the peeled and deveined shrimp and season with the Tony Chachere's and set aside.
2. In a large skillet, melt the butter and add the garlic, onions and bell pepper. Saute on low heat until the onions are translucent, DO NOT burn the garlic.
3. Once the onions are done, add the shrimp, still saute on low heat, cook until the shrimp pink, stirring often.
4. Add the mushrooms and cook and stir a little longer until they are wilted and soft.
5. Sprinkle the flour over the shrimp and veggies and stir well.
6. Add the sour cream and cook and stir on low about 7-10 min or until a little thicker than it was. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
7. Serve over rice garnished with scallions! (I like to sprinkle a little Fresh DillWeed over it too!)

I hope that your family enjoys it just as much as mine... I miss the BAYOU!!!!
Blessings
Mandi

No comments:

Post a Comment